Thursday, October 18, 2007

C.S. Lewis' Approach to Apologetics

"One encounters a self-effacing humility and honesty in his writing; he is not at all condescending in his apologetic work. Brilliant as he was, his arguments do not set him apart from his audience, but place him on the same road with his listeners as a fellow pilgrim. Furthermore, Lewis was a master at the use of the imagination; he was able to develop images and metaphors in order to help his audience grasp difficult concepts. He used analogies as an artist uses his brush. Lewis had a first rate mind and a poet’s power of expression."

Read the outline or listen to this lecture by Dr. Jerry Root at bethinking.org

2 comments:

Susan Skitt said...

Hi Donna, thanks for stopping by my site :) I started reading your posts and thought, "Wow, what a little gem of a blog, this girl must love to read... I'm glad I found a fellow reader out there in blogland."

Then I looked a little closer a few posts back and guess what? I all ready had! LOL! I left a comment awhile back... I think I'll bookmark you this time in my favorites so we can visit again!

As for C.S. Lewis and his imagery, beautiful... I have so much to learn from the greats like this in writing, but like you said, he was humble, just a fellow pilgrim. I need to keep remembering that on my journey Home:)

Have a great day Donna!

P.S. I love how you describe yourself in your profile. (smile) Very creative!

Donna Chua said...

Thanks for dropping by, Susan!I don't post often but when I do, it's usually about something I've read or heard. :)If you love reading, you might want to try Shelfari. I have a bookshelf there, and have gotten some excellent recommendations from fellow Christian book lovers.

C.S. Lewis... yeah, really great writer and thinker. His writing is so clear and he provides really good illustrations of even the most abstract concepts. I'm reading his 'Letters to Malcolm' right now and am enjoying myself thoroughly.

My Google Reader Shared Items