Wednesday, October 24, 2007

On every page... (story from Dr. Jerry Root)

I remember when I was in seminary, the dean of our seminary came to school this one day...

He pulled up at the seminary and he was walking with a bounce to his step. And I said,

"Dr. --- , you look particularly pleased with yourself today!"

He said, "I am, Jerry!"

He said, "I finished my Bible, today, devotionally, for the 200th time."

I said, "Wow.

Then he corrected himself, "I don't count the number of times I've read it in Greek and Hebrew, I mean the times I've read it devotionally."

I said, "Well sir, you've sailed your ship a little further on this sea than I've sailed mine. Are you still finding anything new in it?

He said, "On every page... on every page."

- Encoded from "C.S. Lewis' Approach to Apologetics" by Dr. Jerry Root.

1 comment:

Susan Skitt said...

Wow... my Dad has read through much devotionally, probably over 80 times, not counting in Hebrew and Greek. (He is a pastor and professor.)

The joy... that's what I see in this interation you've shared here. It wasn't a chore for this man, it isn't for my Dad, and finally after many years of having his wonderful example, I get it... four and counting for me and I'm amazed at the things God is showing me :)

My Google Reader Shared Items