Friday, June 16, 2006

Songs of the Lukewarm Church

If you're familiar with church hymns, this is funny... and after you ponder upon it for a few seconds, it becomes more than a little disturbing.

For how many of us can actually say that the songs that we sing with our lives aren't the songs of the lukewarm church but songs of the authentic, blessed authentic church of Jesus Christ? Oh that we would not be hypocrites and would not be satisfied with a mere sip or taste of our infinite God, but would seek with all our hearts, all our minds and all our strength to know Him and marvel at His glories, that as we know more of Him we may love Him more and more as well...

"More love to Thee O Christ, more love to Thee;
hear Thou the prayer I make on bended knee.
This is my earnest plea: more love O Christ to Thee;
more love to Thee, more love to Thee!

Once earthly joy I craved, sought peace and rest;
Now Thee alone I seek, give what is best.
This all my prayer shall be: More love, O Christ to Thee;
More love to Thee, more love to Thee!

Let sorrow do its work, send grief and pain;
Sweet are Thy messengers, sweet their refrain,
When they can sing with me: More love, O Christ, to Thee;
More love to Thee, more love to Thee!

Then shall my latest breath whisper Thy praise;
This be the parting cry my heart shall raise;
This still its prayer shall be: More love, O Christ to Thee;
More love to Thee, more love to Thee!"*


*"More Love to Thee" was written by Elizabeth Prentiss in 1856, during a period of illness. The song is now public domain.

1 comment:

Wielding the Sword said...

Along the same lines as not always singing what we mean... Imagine if we truly meant this one:

All my life I had a longing
For a drink from some clear spring,
That I hoped would quench the burning
Of the thirst I felt within.

Refrain

Hallelujah! I have found Him
Whom my soul so long has craved!
Jesus satisfies my longings,
Through His blood I now am saved.

Feeding on the husks around me,
Till my strength was almost gone,
Longed my soul for something better,
Only still to hunger on.

Refrain

Poor I was, and sought for riches,
Something that would satisfy,
But the dust I gathered round me
Only mocked my soul’s sad cry.

Refrain

Well of water, ever springing,
Bread of life so rich and free,
Untold wealth that never faileth,
My Redeemer is to me.

Refrain


-Clara T. Williams

My Google Reader Shared Items