Friday, June 30, 2006

Bible reading plans

"Your word is a lamp unto my feet and a light to my path"
"Your commandments make me wiser than my enemies,
For they are ever mine.
I have more insight than all my teachers,
For Your testimonies are my meditation.
I understand more than the aged,
Because I have observed Your precepts."


These are quotations from Psalm 119, the longest chapter in the entire Bible. We are commanded to meditate on God's word day and night for our own good, but sadly, the daunting task of reading all 66 books (some of them really short) often lies neglected. I can't really say that I've read all the books in the Bible, and I don't even know how close or far I am from doing so. Not that that matters as much as what I remember and obey from all I've read, but reading does play a major role in spiritual growth. The Spirit works and speaks to us through Scripture, revival comes when the word of God is preached, salvation has come to us through what we "heard" (or read, as the case may be)...* So anyway, I looked for some reading plans and found this through DG Ministries. I'm planning to follow the one-year reading plan, which might be quite taxing for those of you with busy schedules, but there are other plans to choose from. The 5-minute a day plan for reading the entire New Testament sounds doable.

If you've already read through the entire Bible, don't forget to read it again and again, as many times as you can while you're alive.... the precious gems and lessons will never stop coming.

Here are other reading plans from Bible Gateway.

* If you prefer listening over reading, there are audio streams of the Bible available from Bible Gateway and other online Bible sites.

No comments:

My Google Reader Shared Items